vegetarian socialite

def.: A vegetarian who spends a significant amount of time socializing, entertaining and being entertained at fashionable venues.

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Vegetarian Web Presence

Obviously, I eat at restaurants all the time.  I also travel quite a bit.  I find it so difficult to find vegetarian food when I go places.  Sure, there are guides to vegetarian eating, and they are great.  But, for some reason, I find the best places through word-of-mouth and not on the web.  Why is that?

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that vegetarian restaurants tend to be small "mom and pop" type establishments.  They are often way more worried about the food that they are preparing than they are about their advertising.  This is good and bad.  While these places may enjoy a great following at first, due to the fact that vegetarians are always trying to find new places, once the novelty wears thin or another restaurant opens, they often go out of business.

Also, major restaurants do absolutely nothing to promote their vegetarian selections.  You never see advertisements for a meatless offering from any of the popular casual dining establishments, but most of them do offer something.  This, I believe, is because they do not value the business that these items bring.

I don't have an answer to this one.  This was more or less a rant.  I do think that vegetarians and vegans ought to do their best to encourage restaurants to build their web presence and to promote their vegetarian selections online.  The more this is done, the more other places will get the hint and develop their menus to include us herbivores.

That's it.  I'm done.  Feel free to weigh in.

No comments:

Post a Comment