vegetarian socialite

def.: A vegetarian who spends a significant amount of time socializing, entertaining and being entertained at fashionable venues.

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Surviving Interrogation

When out and about, vegetarians all tend to get the same question, incessantly:

"So, why are you a vegetarian?"

You can reply, "because I'm not an animal-murderer" or "none of your business" ... but neither of those will earn you any vegan brownie points.  Therefore, I suggest a more measured approach - I tell the truth.

Now, there are many shades of the truth, so choose yours carefully.  I became vegetarian for many reasons, in fact all of the reasons (I think).  So, without getting to "deep" into the subject, I politely smile and say "well, all of the popular reasons."  If questioned further, I say that I enjoy the health benefits, like veggies, prefer not to eat animals if I don't have to, and feel like I'm doing good for the environment.

Usually, at this point, I get a "that's cool," and I order another round of vodka-cranberries (did I mention I'm a lightweight?).  On the rare occasion that I am questioned further, such as, "don't you know you need protein" or "don't you miss meat," I simply smile and reply "so far, it's been working for me."  If a person doesn't recognize your passive response as an invitation to stop interrogating at this point, then just punch them in the face (I kid, I kid).  Really, at that point, I just joke it off and say something like "animals don't eat me, so I don't eat them."

Remember, you don't want your diet to lose you valuable contacts or friends, and you don't want your attitude to turn off a potential future-vegetarian.  If you don't convert at least 24 people to vegetarianism in your lifetime, you don't make it into Veggie Heaven. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment