vegetarian socialite

def.: A vegetarian who spends a significant amount of time socializing, entertaining and being entertained at fashionable venues.

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Promoting Vegetarianism

I feel like it's important for me to take a moment and explain why it is important to promote vegetarianism.  Some of the reasons are altruistic, while others are tools to satisfy my own wishes.  Here are my favorites:

  1. Vegetarianism is healthy.  I want those around me to be healthy.
  2. Vegetarianism is good for the environment.  I want the environment to be healthy.
  3. The price of vegetarian products will decrease as they get more popular and competition increases.  I want my bank account to be healthy.
  4. More places, including restaurants, will provide vegetarian options when the market becomes lucrative.  That would be awesome!
Anyways, at the risk of sounding like a simpleton, those are my reasons for promoting vegetarianism.  But, I don't hold up a sign or stand on street corners preaching the benefits of a herbivorous diet.  So, what do I do to promote vegetarianism?  I'm glad you asked.  I support businesses that offer vegetarian options, and so should you.  It's nice to go to Tim & Moonglow's Corner Store to buy homemade kava kava suncakes, but the "big guys" deserve some reward for catering to our finicky needs.

If everyone would make a point to stop by Applebee's and have their vegetarian sliders, or by Johnny Rockets and enjoy a Streamliner, or just go to Publix or Winn-Dixie or Albertson's, or whatever your local grocery store is, and patronize their tiny vegetarian food sections, one day they will have many vegetarian options and huge vegetarian food sections.  Can I get an "Amen"?  Or, at least give me a "kumbaya" or whatever hippies say. :)

1 comment: