vegetarian socialite

def.: A vegetarian who spends a significant amount of time socializing, entertaining and being entertained at fashionable venues.

Sunday, January 23, 2011

What's wrong with hippies?

I often tell people that "I am not a hippie".  So, what's wrong with hippies?

Actually, nothing.

I am a big supporter of free will.  But, the fact that so many vegetarians/vegans are "hippies" does a lot of PR damage to vegetarianism.  Most people have a distaste for what they view as a subculture that is strange at best.  For most of us, working in corporate America is a reality.  We shop at Wal-Mart and drive whatever car we were able to afford at the time, and we have lunch meetings and dinners with our friends and family, who are mostly meat-eaters.

I think that it is important to challenge the common perception of vegetarians and present an example to "everyday people" that vegetarianism can be just a simple choice of diet, which does not necessitate a complete lifestyle change, the alienation of family and friends, nor an advanced degree in Yoga.  Vegetarianism is healthy, it is humane, it is good for the planet, and it is a good decision for anyone. 

If you are what people consider a hippie, please don't be offended.  You are probably a good person, but just not good publicity for vegetarianism.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with this. I don't necessarily have anything against hippies, but it's annoying when people assume I am a "hippie" just because I'm vegan. I don't have anything to do with the hippie subculture.

    ReplyDelete