vegetarian socialite

def.: A vegetarian who spends a significant amount of time socializing, entertaining and being entertained at fashionable venues.

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Chain Restaurants

I am not a huge fan of chain restaurants (what vegetarian is?). But, vegetarians learn quickly that they are popular among the business crowd and must be tolerated for the purpose of socializing.  While it is difficult to always be the person who picks the meeting place, it is easy and convenient to make suggestions.  Here are some of my favorites, by cuisine.  They are not all "up-scale", but being a socialite does not mean you have to be pretentious (don't judge me).

  • Asian: Pei Wei - fast, friendly and delicious food.  You can have anything with tofu and they'll let you know if the sauce is vegetarian.
  • Italian: Any place - pastas, pizza, eggplant parmigiana.  It's the food of the gods.  Just try not to be too messy and watch the garlic breath. Macaroni Grill, Olive Garden, and Carrabas are all acceptable chains for entertaining.
  • Mexican: Tijuana Flats is awesome - plenty of stuff without meat.  Moe's Southwestern Grill and Chipotle Grill are both good and offer tofu as your filling.  WARNING - at Mexican restaurants, always ask if your rice is cooked in chicken broth and whether or not the beans are cooked with meat.  You will often find that one type of beans is and another is not.
  • American: Outback Steakhouse offers a surprisingly good veggie burger.  Believe it or not, Denny's has awesome veggie burgers and I hear reports that some are now using Amy's brand (yay!).  Johnny Rockets offers the Streamliner.  Just make sure you tell them not to cook it in a pile of burger grease.  Ruby Tuesdays has a decent avocado quesadilla, fresh guacamole and chips appetizer, and vegetarian minis (little black bean burgers with barbecue sauce and fries).
  • Sandwiches: I hate Subway (you always leave smelling like a, well, Subway), but if you are into that sort of thing, they have a veggie sub (salad in bread).  I prefer the veggie sub at Quiznos - mushrooms, olives, guacamole, peppers, etc.  Jimmy John's has an AMAZING gourmet veggie club, if you eat/like cheese (lots of provolone, my favorite).
  • Other:  I have to mention Panera Bread Company.  They have vegetarian soups and salads that are tasty and healthy.  This is a good place for the sophisticated ambiance.
I know that none of these are exactly China Grille, but real movers and shakers need to eat at places that are quick and convenient.  I'll make some classier recommendations another time.  Just be glad I didn't talk about Taco Bell...yet. Feel free to post any of your favorites or critique mine. :)

1 comment:

  1. My husband and I have been wanting to try Pei Wei for a while now, but still haven't had the pleasure of eating there. I told him this morning that I am taking him there for a mini-date this week. I'm glad they cater to the vegetarian too. Although, Marty and I are not vegetarians we eat more veggies than meat for sure. Thanks for the helpful and healthful tips!

    ReplyDelete